Positive psychology is a relatively new area of psychology that helps people find meaning and fulfillment in their everyday lives, cultivate what is best within themselves, and enhance their experiences of love, work, and play. Positive psychology is based on scientific research into the character strengths and virtues that enable individuals and communities to thrive.
Positive psychology interventions can:
- Increase happiness and alleviate symptoms of depression.
- Increase positive emotions that “undo” negative emotions and build resilience.
- Increase strengths that buffer against adversity and psychological disorders.
Dr. McMahon uses and offers positive psychology in several ways:
- As part of therapy for anxiety, insomnia, stress, and other issues, where research shows benefits from using positive psychology together with other techniques such as cognitive behavioral therapy.
- Positive Psychology services for individuals who would like to become happier, more resilient, and increase meaning in their lives.
- Speaking on positive psychology and related topics to lay and professional audiences.
For more information, call Dr. McMahon at 1-415-625-3565.